Monday 11 July 2011

Garden breakthroughs!


Well, we've had an interesting weekend in the garden. We dug out a new flower border at the back of the garden because I realised that when you look towards the garden from the living room all you can see is grass and fence, all of the features we have are to the sides of the garden, so I wanted something nicer to look at.


I marked the border with a piece of string and cut a line along with our edge cutter, and after a failed attempt to remove the grass with the spade, I roped Pete in to finish it off (well, to do most of the work actually!). So now we have a border in which I plan to plant some wild flower seeds to add a nice bit of colour and hopefully attract some bumble bees and butterflies to the garden.


While we were in our garden our next door neighbour came out to water his veggies, and I managed to have a little chat to him about cucumbers and tomatoes!! This may sound trivial, but since moving in we've had several failed attempts to get to know our neighbours. We were starting to think they didn't like to look of us, it bothered us so much that we got our church community group to pray with us about it, but now we seem to be on a roll! On Sunday the guy started talking to Pete over the fence and offered him 2 of his tomato plants because he has too many! Awesome breakthrough!


I noticed another breakthrough this morning - we have a red strawberry in our hanging basket! (how sad am I - one red strawberry has made my day!)


On Friday Pete made me some quesadillas for my lunch before he went to work - yum! They're so easy to make, you just need 2 tortillas, some grated cheese and then anything else you fancy (we like peppers and sweetcorn, maybe a bit of ham). Then you heat a tiny amount of oil in a frying pan and pop in one tortilla, topped with the cheese and extra bits, then pop the other tortilla on top and let it cook for a minute before turning over for another minute on the other side! Simple, give it a go, they're delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment